Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Rainy Days are Here Again!

I learned very early in teaching that rainy days can cause students to become more and more wound up, the longer the rain continues. So last year, I determined that I would do something on rainy days to encourage better behavior. I use a lot of different methods throughout the year, but my returning 4th graders all know that a rainy day means something exciting is bound to happen in our classroom.

So, when I checked the forecast for this week and found that we are to be expecting rain every day, I decided that my positive reinforcement would need to be something that lasted throughout the week.

 

IMG_0653 So, here are the simple charts each student found on their desk this morning. All day, I watched for great behaviors such as:

* following directions quickly

* quiet hallway behavior

* attentiveness

* diligence

* neatness

The good behaviors were rewarded with stickers, at the end of the week, the students will be able to redeem the stickers for candy and prizes.

As I tell my students, “The days that seem the gloomiest outside, are the days we need to be the happiest inside!”

No comments:

Post a Comment